Devastating news since from the official Feral House‘s Facebook account, the following has just been stated : “It is with tremendous sadness that we inform you that Feral House founder and publisher, Adam Parfrey passed away Thursday, May 10, 2018.“
American journalist, editor, and the publisher of Feral House books Adam Parfrey (1957-2018), often centered on unusual, extreme, or “forbidden” areas of knowledge. From experimental magazine IDEA (ear;y 80’s, two issues), his next ‘adventure’ was EXIT Magazine (1984, with George Petros). In 1986, back in L.A. he co-founded Amok Press with Kenneth Swezey which gave birth to the controversial awesomeness “Apocalypse Culture” (1987), ‘a collection of articles, interviews, and documents that explore the various marginal aspects of culture‘. Its sequel, in 2000, “Apocalypse Culture II“, encountered conservative objections & was banned in many countries.
Parfrey also co-founded Process Media with Jodi Wille in 2005.
Back to Feral House (est. 1989), Adam’s ‘baby’, describes itself: “publishing innovative and celebrated non-fiction books since 1989. Movies have been made, cultural trends influenced and political crimes exposed by our small, independent press.“
The following are Feral House’s awards:
- Winner: Best Book of 1989 by Readercon: Apocalypse Culture edited by Adam Parfrey
- Winner: Firecracker Award, Best Music Book of 1999: Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground by Michael Moynihan and Didrik Søderlind
- Winner: Independent Publisher Awards Best Pop Culture Book of 2000: Pills-a-Go-Go: A Fiendish Investigation Into Pill Marketing, Art, History & Consumption by Jim Hogshire
- Winner: Independent Publisher Awards Best Erotica Book of 2005: SuicideGirls edited by Missy Suicide
- Winner: Independent Publisher Awards Best Pop Culture Book of 2006: Sin-A-Rama: Sleaze Sex Paperbacks of the Sixties edited by Brittany A. Daley, Hedi El Kholti, Earl Kemp, Miriam Linna, and Adam Parfrey
- Winner: Independent Publisher Awards Best History Book of 2012 Silver Medal: Ritual America: Secret Brotherhoods and Their Influence on America Society by Adam Parfrey, and Craig Heimbichner
I also have to mention that Tim Burton‘s “Ed Wood” was based on Feral House’s “Nightmare of Ecstasy: The Life and Art of Edward D. Wood Jr.“.
A restless mind & soul now rests in peace… “Quality books for forbidden topics” equals to Adam Parfrey…